As I can only put 3 photo's on here is the arm from another angle showing the cylinder block with nylon lock nuts and washers.
At a guess I think there is about a 10º movement on each side, just a guess but way more than enough to keep a roughly polar aligned mount on track.
Last photo is the re-done RA with aluminium setting circles as yet un-engraved. I went with aluminium as I had a lot of the stuff in my shed and brass is expensive.
All that remains is to find a way of controlling the clamping action from the eyepiece end via rods and either a couple of home made knobs or a stepper motor control for the Tangent arm, possibly a Skywatcher electric focuser.
Black gloss paint or leave it aluminium?
Will wrap this up at some stage soon I hope, but first a test out under the stars is in order
Nearly there...I have bought a second hand set of stepper motors with hand controller etc from an HEQ5. The plan is to motorise the dec with the existing spur gears 54-72 and on the RA do the same. The RA is a little tricky as it involved some gear ratio working out...math is not my thing but I think I have it correct With fingers crossed it should all be up and running in a couple of weeks....just about 1 year since I finished the f12 OTA. The unknown is will the HEQ5 motors work? I think so as this is a very well balanced scope! The worst is it won't in which case it's plan B....12volt DC motors with a model train type controller Onto the last phase of cutting, drilling and tapping. Been a great journey. Matt
Last Edit: Nov 13, 2014 23:21:44 GMT -5 by boomboom
Forget the HEQ5 motors. Have been given a couple of old steppers from a losmandy g11 with driver and hand control. Truly fantastic! All I needed to add was a couple of leads RJ45's and to re-do the RJ45 connector from the hand control as it had a broken clip...nice and easy and it all works. Have been back in the shed drilling tapping and cutting mounting plates for the motors. Now waiting on a couple of connecting collars to arrive and then that's it!....except for engraving the circles and adding Argo Navis.
It's finished.....Not much to say except I ripped out the Dec slipclutchand gears from my EQ3 mount and used them on the Gaunt. Finally I have control of this mount the way I want it. Next time friends come over and look through it I'll be prepared. So nice to put an object in the FOV and have it stay there!
Painting is just about to happen….sometime soon. I have been testing the works out, as you have to do and found the slip clutch 'slips' a bit too much as is! The clutch needs a bit more 'stiction' as it has a bit of momentum and overshoots a bit. I'm going to try a sheet o cork on one side of the clutch…an old method I know but I hope it will work. When that is fixed….Painting time.
Going all Black on all the Aluminium parts. I think I will put back the brass setting circles on the RA too.
At long last it is finished...this time I mean it! Painted black, brass parts lacquered....photo below of the EQ head. So an 1880's mount is bought into the 21st Century with Argo Navis and a drive system from 20 years ago.
The only part missing is engraving the RA circle....one day in the future. This proved to be a hard task, it was either right or badly wrong so it is for another dsay when I can get it right.
The Azimuth was 3 bolts when I bought the mount. No way of adjusting other than shifting the mount and scope, not a possibility.
Hopefully I will get spme photos of the telescope and mount in all its glory.
Soooo I am nearly at the end of tinckering with this mount. A short up-date. New to the works are hand control of the Dec axis from the focuser end. Two knobs that clamp the Dec axis, so I no longer have to leave the eyepiece to do that with a spanner. Plus it looks more like a real refractor Just one tiny part in the works and then I have to call it a day with this baby.